What to consider when choosing an Air Conditioning Contractor
Selecting an HVAC contractor doesn’t have to be intimidating or difficult. Knowing the right questions to ask can help ensure that you find a dependable, competent service professional to handle all your air conditioning needs. Before calling a contractor, it is helpful to familiarize yourself with the air conditioning equipment that you have. At least know the brand name, the model and the approximate age of the system, as well as any warranties that may be in effect. Before you hire a prospective air conditioning contractor, take these important questions into consideration:
• Does the contractor have the proper licenses, certifications and insurance coverage required by your state to perform air conditioner repair?
• Is it the company’s policy to always provide a written estimate for you to sign before any work is done? Does the estimate include all necessary air conditioner parts and labor?
• Is all AC repair work guaranteed? Specifically, does the company guarantee workmanship in addition to any manufacturer’s warranty on air conditioner parts and equipment? If so, is the workmanship guaranteed for at least one year? (Click here to find out about the ARS®/Rescue Rooter® Exceptional Service Guarantee.)
• Is the company well established? Can it provide recent, reliable references? Do they have a reputation for integrity and dependability? Is the company locally owned or does it have the backing and resources of a nationally known and respected brand name?
• Are the air conditioner repair technicians well trained? Are they certified to properly handle and capture refrigerants that could potentially be harmful to the environment?
• Is the company easy to reach, even after regular office hours and on weekends? Do they respond quickly to service requests? Even better, can you request or schedule appointments online?
• In addition to air conditioner repair, is the contractor willing to spend time with you to share maintenance tips and suggestions for efficient operation of your system? Will they take the time to answer any questions that you may have?
• Is the company careful about whom they send to your home? Does the company perform national background checks on its workers? Do they require drug tests for their employees?
• Is the company knowledgeable about energy efficiency and green air conditioning solutions? Can they share information with you about ENERGY STAR qualified products that meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency? Is the company willing to provide a no-cost analysis to determine the benefits of replacing your current system with a more energy efficient one?
• Are the workers willing to take appropriate steps to respect your property? Will they clean up after themselves, if necessary? Do they wear shoe covers, if needed, and have drop cloths available?
Contact your local ARS®/Rescue Rooter® air conditioning specialist for more information about how choosing the right air conditioning contractor can make a difference for you.