Garbage Disposal Services from The Irish Plumber
Garbage Disposal Services in Itasca, IL
Have you ever gone into the kitchen and wondered what that smell was? Where is the first place you check? Is it your garbage disposal? Here at Irish Plumber®, we're available, even on holidays, to diagnose your garbage disposal problems!
The disposal is the device under the kitchen sink that is used to shred up any food or waste that is sent down the drain. A lot of people make the common mistake of putting their hands in or sticking sharp objects in the garbage disposal to grab what they think might be caught. Because garbage disposals have blades that rotate at a high speed to shred objects, it’s a bad idea to take this “DIY” approach especially when the electricity is still running to the garbage disposal.
Garbage Disposal Repair
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you may have a broken garbage disposal that needs to be serviced or replaced by a professional plumber:
- Is there a bad odor coming from the disposal?
- Does it sound different? Like a humming or grinding sound?
- Is there standing water in the sink after use?
- Is there a leak under your sink?
- Is there any corrosion that could be causing leaks?
- Is it becoming backed up or clogged?
Depending on the issue at hand, it can be a simple repair or it may be time for a replacement. We carry most makes and models of garbage disposals, and we can find the best unit for you depending on your budget and needs. You can always count on the knowledgeable and trustworthy plumbers here at Irish Plumber, to quickly diagnose and repair or replace your garbage disposal.
See below for more helpful hints.
Things you should NOT put down your disposal:
- Pasta - as the water makes the pasta expand, it could clog up the disposal.
- Oil, Fat, and Grease - when these cool, they harden.
- Certain vegetables - celery or kale can clog up the disposal because their fibrous and stringy texture can get caught up in the blades.
- Egg shells - the membrane inside the shell can wrap around the blades and clog it up.
- Rice - water expands the rice (like pasta) and can cause a clog.
Garbage Disposal Installation
By grinding up food and other kitchen scraps, the garbage disposal is a great convenience for many homeowners in the Chicago area. But if you are calling for frequent repairs or have a disposal that is undersized for your family's needs, a new, more powerful disposal might be just what you need to make quick work of your kitchen waste.
Irish Plumber® offers most makes and models in varying sizes to meet your needs and your budget.
To help you in your new garbage disposal decision-making process, here are a few things to consider.
Things to Consider When Buying a Garbage Disposal:
- If you need your disposal to work through difficult or big jobs, opt for more horsepower. Models generally run from 1/2 hp to 1 hp.
- Some units can be plugged into an outlet, some need to be hard-wired.
- If you have small children in the house, batch-feed models can be safer, as these units only operate with the cover on.
- If you like to work through waste continuously with the flip of a switch, look for continuous-feed models.