Plumbing | June 14, 2016
INFOGRAPHIC - Water Heater Maintenance TipsThere are few things more shocking to the senses than stepping into an ice cold shower. You rely on your water heater for the everyday pleasure of hot water and it relies on you too. Your water heater may be hidden from view, but don’t forget about it. It needs routine maintenance to keep you comfortable.
Here are seven routine, important water heater maintenance tips:
1. Control the temperature setting. Set your water heater temperature no higher than 120 degrees for maximum efficiency. Setting it any higher can decrease efficiency and increase the chance of scalding.
2. Provide insulation. Wrap your water heater in an insulating blanket that helps enhance performance and decrease standby heat loss.
3. Give it space. Be sure to maintain 2 feet of space around your unit.
4. Take care when on vacation. Use your water heater’s “vacation” setting when you leave town, which maintains the pilot light without heating any water.
5. Install a water softener. This helps prevent unnecessary wear and tear on your water heater caused by mineral deposits.
6. Maintain the PT valve. Replace the pressure and temperature (PT) valve. on your hot water heater every three years to protect it from extreme pressure and temperature.
7. Tune it up. Don’t forget to schedule your annual water heater tune-up. Your plumber should check the pressure relief valve, drain your tank to remove any sediment, if needed, inspect the tank and connections for rust, wear or corrosion, and replace worn anode rods.
Your plumber will also be able to tell you when it’s time to consider upgrading your water heater. To schedule a no-cost analysis of the benefits and savings of replacing your water heater, call ARS®/Rescue Rooter® today at 1-800-277-9400.