Air Conditioning Maintenance
Time takes its toll on every AC system, but with the right maintenance schedule you can maximize air conditioning performance, extend your system's life, and keep your heating and cooling bills under control. The best way to do that is to have your AC maintained by a qualified air conditioning specialist.
That's where your local ARS®/Rescue Rooter® professional steps in. Our qualified experts know how to keep your central AC running strong—and you can rest assured that your comfort is always our number one priority. Here's how we do it:
AC Filter Replacement
Air conditioning filters are critical to your AC system's effectiveness. In fact, the wrong choice of filter (i.e., one that restricts too much air flow or doesn’t fit properly)—or a filter that has become contaminated with dirt and dust—can lead to higher energy bills and more frequent maintenance repairs. The right filter can also improve your home's air quality and promote a cleaner living environment.
That's why we recommend replacing your air conditioning filters or cleaning your reusable filters at least four times a year—and as often as every month during high-usage times.
Depending on your particular HVAC system, you may have a number of filter options available to you. And while all air filters are designed to allow airflow while removing dust, pollen, pet dander and other contaminants—including some mold spores—some are more effective than others.
Make sure you check out the filter's minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) before you decide which model is right for you. These ratings go from one to 20, and let you know how well a filter removes particles, how much it resists airflow, and how long you can expect it to last.
- Disposable fiberglass filters are the least expensive—but also the least effective. These filters are designed to block only large dust particles, which means smaller particles such as pollen and mold can pass right through.
- Washable "electrostatic" filters have a static charge that attracts dust, dirt and other matter. These filters are slightly more effective than their disposable equivalents but still do not block the smaller particles.
- Pleated "allergy" filters use a much denser mesh material to trap and eliminate large allergens like pollen and mold. Most between 35% and 50% efficient.
- Electronic air cleaners create an ionized electrical field that "magnetizes" pollutant particles, eliminating virtually all pollen and mold spores, up to 94% of smaller particles, and up to 80% of airborne viruses.
- HEPA furnace filters are generally considered to be the "gold standard". These filters are used in commercial applications, like hospitals and electronics manufacturing, where clean air is vital.
Air Conditioner Tune-ups
We are sometimes asked if AC tune-ups are really necessary. The simple answer is this: "Yes, they are!" Your cooling system is a major investment for your home and your comfort. With our extensive experience repairing, installing and maintaining all major makes and models of air conditioning units and systems, we know what it takes to keep your AC running strong: regular inspections and preventative maintenance performed each season.
You don't have to wait for your air conditioning to go on the fritz before you call in your local expert; in fact, it's better if you arrange a tune-up before wear and tear takes too much of a toll. An ARS/Rescue Rooter® AC tune-up includes all these services:
- Inspect coolant levels and pressure to ensure your system runs at peak efficiency
- Calibrate thermostat(s) and check proper cycle and temperature to improve comfort and control
- Inspect and tighten wiring, contacts, capacitors and relays to avoid expensive repairs
- Ensure the evaporator coil is clean
- Ensure the condensate drain is clear
- Inspect and clean the condenser
- Inspect the outdoor disconnect switch
- Inspect the condenser fan motor and blades; lubricate if needed
- Check compressor amps at startup
- Carry out additional safety and efficiency checks
Upon completion, your service technician will present your AC Tune-Up Checklist and share any recommendations and potential concerns about your air conditioning system.
Regular air conditioner maintenance can pay big dividends in improved system performance and reduced energy costs. It can also help to extend the life of your system parts and equipment, as well as help to prevent costly and inconvenient breakdowns.
The easiest way to make sure that your home AC maintenance is done correctly is to have it performed regularly by a qualified air conditioning specialist.
In between professional tune-ups, here are some things that you can do.
- Always be sure to disconnect electricity to the unit before starting any work
- Keep the outside condensing unit clear of leaves, sticks and debris
- With electricity turned off, rinse the compressor using a garden hose
- Change or clean the AC filters according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- Check the fan belt tension and inspect hose connections for leaks and cracks
Your local ARS®/Rescue Rooter® specialist will be happy to share more tips for maintenance and answer any questions you have.
Home Service Plans
With an ARS®/Rescue Rooter® Home Service Plan, you can take all the guesswork out of air conditioning maintenance. We'll create a regular schedule of cleaning and tuning to ensure your HVAC system continues to work reliably and efficiently. That means better performance, better energy efficiency, longer equipment lifespan—and no more worrying that your cool air will suddenly disappear on a hot summer day or the reverse in winter! Here's what you can expect:
- Preferred pricing on heating and AC service, repair and installation
- One-year warranty on repair parts and labor
- Flexible payment plans—pay annually or monthly by credit/debit card*
- National flexibility—move anywhere within our service area and continue to utilize our services for your new home
- Priority emergency service**
- Two seasonal heating and air conditioning service tune-ups
Make sure your comfort—and your investment in your home’s HVAC system—is protected all year-round with an ARS/Rescue Rooter Home Service Plan. We can help you keep your cool at all times, and you can rest assured that our work is covered by our Exceptional Service Guarantee. Call 866-399-2885 to contact your local ARS/Rescue Rooter branch and get started.
*Monthly amounts must be paid by credit/debit card or automatic bank withdrawal. Florida customers HSP term and warranty on repair parts and labor shall not exceed 364 days. Not valid with any other offers or discounts.
**Some restrictions apply. See service center for details. Customer is responsible for any additional service work provided outside the scope of the Home Service Plan (HSP). The condition of the heating, air conditioning or plumbing systems will be reported at the time of maintenance service, but does not imply any warranties to their performance in the future. Customer may receive notice of schedule for Home Service Plan maintenance services by means of automated phone dialing systems. Service under this Home Service Plan shall continue until terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days prior written notice, provided the Company may discontinue service at any time in the event of non-payment by customer.