5 Reasons to Buy a New ThermostatThe most powerful, sophisticated HVAC equipment in the world is only as useful as the thermostat that controls it. You might need to consider replacing your thermostat if...
1. It's not programmable. A programmable thermostat is an inexpensive way to control your heating and cooling costs without sacrificing personal comfort. Just set it a few degrees warmer or cooler while you're asleep or away from home, and start saving energy!
2. It's not digital. Older, manual thermostats simply aren't as accurate as new digital technology when it comes to setting and maintaining your preferred temperature.
3. It doesn't have the features you want. Even if you have a digital, programmable thermostat, you may be interested in a model with a greater range of features:
- Program flexibility – Some thermostats allow you to set a different heating and cooling schedule for each day of the week; others only allow you to set one schedule for weekdays and another for weekends. Hold and vacation features are also available for added control.
- Modern display & controls – Large backlit displays and intuitive touchpad or touchscreen controls make it easier for you to see and adjust your thermostat settings. Select models also offer voice activation and control.
- Wi-Fi access – Control your thermostat from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or computer. Depending on your thermostat and phone model, you may even be able to set your thermostat to automatically increase or decrease the temperature based on your GPS location.
- Maintenance alerts – Filter-change reminders, system status information and other alerts help you keep your HVAC system running efficiently.
- Memory save – Memory backup keeps you from losing your programs in a power outage.
- Adaptive recovery features – Smart thermostats can learn how long it takes to increase or decrease the temperature in your home, so they can reach temperature set points on time for the schedule you've programmed. All Energy Star-qualified thermostats should have this functionality.
5. It doesn't work properly. If your home isn't staying as warm or as cool as you'd like—and you're sure you've set your thermostat properly—the problem could be a faulty thermostat. Call an ARS®/Rescue Rooter® technician at 1-800-277-9400 to see if that's the case. He or she should be able to diagnose the issue and give you replacement options to fit your individual needs.