6 Telltale Signs You Need a DehumidifierIn addition to keeping you comfortable, a dehumidifier is your first line of defense against excess humidity in your home. So how do you know if your home needs one? Check for the following telltale signs to see if a dehumidifier is right for your needs.
1. Window and door condensation. As air becomes saturated with too much humidity, it condenses onto interior doors and windows causing the glass to sweat.
2. Mold spots on ceilings and wall corners. Shower steam rises and settles in the ceiling and corners of most bathrooms that do not have efficient fans to divert the humidity outdoors.
3. Stale Odor. The presence of a stale odor in areas of your home that tend to receive less ventilation, such as basements, crawl spaces and garages, signals the presence of mold and mildew.
4. Recurring water runoff dampness in springtime. White or gray water level marks in your basement indicate excess moisture that needs to be removed.
5. Blistering paint or peeling wallpaper. When excess moisture penetrates your walls in warm temperatures, it turns into steam, causing your paint or wallpaper to lose adhesion from behind.
6. Creaky doors, cabinets, windows, or floors. When wood absorbs moisture it expands, loosening joints, screws and nails in in the structural frame of your fixtures.
When you choose a dehumidifier, be sure to select the right size for your room or area. For more information about air conditioners, dehumidifiers and other HVAC needs, please Call ARS®/Rescue Rooter® at 1-800-277-9400 to speak with one of our Comfort Advisors.