HVAC | December 11, 2014
8 Signs It's Time to Replace the FurnaceA furnace is a big investment in your family's comfort. While you may be reluctant to replace it while it's still working, it may be worthwhile to start shopping before it breaks down—especially if any of the following signs apply to you.
- Your furnace is 15 years old or older. The average life expectancy of a furnace is 15 to 20 years, so it may be time to start shopping! If you're not the furnace’s first owner, you may need to do a little detective work to figure out its age. Googling the brand and model number is a good place to start.
- New noises like rattles, hisses, bangs, pops, squeals, hums or buzzes are coming from your furnace.
- The thermostat is set correctly, but your home isn't staying the correct temperature, or heating unevenly.
- You've noticed rust on your unit, or rust particles, soot and other debris coming from your vents.
- Your indoor air feels dry and dusty.
- The furnace blower cycles on and off more often than it used to.
- Your heating bill is going up and up (and not because utility rates are rising). If it takes more energy to do the same job, your furnace probably isn't running as efficiently as it used to.
- You've had to make frequent repairs in recent years. Frequent failures could indicate a more serious underlying problem.
Not sure you need a replacement yet? Call ARS®/Rescue Rooter® at 1-800-277-9400. We'll be happy to do a furnace inspection and tune-up, and talk to you about repair and replacement options if needed.