Fall Home HVAC Checklist
Summer is ending, and the fall months are a perfect time to tackle some small home maintenance tasks that will protect your HVAC throughout the winter. Here's a checklist to get you started:
- Replace your air filter, and check it monthly. If it looks dirty and clogged, it’s time to be replaced.
- Clear at least two feet around your outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps to ensure adequate airflow and prevent damage.
- Reverse your ceiling fans to help circulate warmer air away from the ceiling and towards your living space.
- Seal any drafts you find in your windows or doors to prevent energy loss from air leakage.
- Replace the batteries in your home’s carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Never close more than 20% of your home’s registers, and clear any furniture obstructing your returns or registers that may strain your HVAC system.
- Schedule a furnace tune-up. Check to make sure your HVAC technician cleans the blower compartment, tightens wire connections, cleans and adjusts the burners, replaces the filter if necessary, and inspects the heat exchanger, gas pressure and flame operation, and igniter or pilot light.
HVAC systems require regular maintenance to improve performance and efficiency. So schedule your furnace tune-up this fall, and avoid a furnace failure during the coldest months of the year. Call ARS®/Rescue Rooter® today at 866-399-3885.