How to Prevent Air Conditioner FailureAs the heat index climbs, your air conditioner has to work harder to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. So take care to properly maintain and protect your AC equipment to avoid a breakdown in the extreme heat. Use these simple tips to keep your AC running smoothly all summer long.
- Minimize heat gain. Close the drapes, turn off heat-generating appliances and switch off incandescent lights.
- Turn up the thermostat. Ease the load on your air conditioner by setting your thermostat to the highest temperature you’re comfortable with and supplementing your AC with fans and other means of staying cool.
- Don’t switch off (or crank up) your air conditioner. Turning down your AC at night and while you're away from home can save you money on your energy bill. However, turning it completely off, then expecting it to play catch up can be rough on your equipment. By the same token, don't set your thermostat below your target temperature to make it cool faster. Most air conditioners only have one speed, so overshooting will only overwork your system.
- Clear the area around your air conditioner. Dispose of any debris you find around your outdoor unit to ensure adequate airflow. Also, trim any bushes or shrubs that are in the way.
- Take care of your AC. Keeping your air conditioner well maintained will help it perform at its best. Choose the right filter for your home and change or clean it regularly. Schedule regular tune-ups, and make any necessary repairs promptly. Our Service Plan is a great way to protect your AC investment.