INFOGRAPHIC - Top 10 Ways to Prepare for Winter Ice StormWhile weather varies across the country, most of us will experience extreme weather sometime this winter. And it’s extremely important during cold winter conditions to protect your home, your appliances, and your safety. Before you experience the winter’s first ice storm, take the following steps to prepare your home.
- Prepare to move snow. Buy rock salt, sand, snow shovels, and other snow removal equipment to keep your driveways and walkways safe and clear.
- Restock heating fuel or firewood. If your regular fuel sources are cut off, you’ll need a backup. Extend the life of your fuel supply by winterizing walls, doors, and windows.
- Have communication devices ready. Keep a battery-powered radio or TV, flashlight, and fresh batteries handy.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Know where in your home to find warm clothing and blankets.
- Take care of your pets. Bring your pets inside during severe winter weather, and move other animals to sheltered areas with access to drinking water.
- Maintain your home’s exterior. Repair roof leaks, clean rain gutters, and cut any tree branches that could damage your house during a storm.
- Let ‘em drip! Turn your faucets to a slight drip to keep your pipes from freezing, and be prepared to shut off the water supply if a pipe bursts.
- Maintain your heating equipment. Have it serviced every year.
- Stock up. Make sure you have non-perishable foods on hand, and keep a supply of bottled drinking water available.
- Make a Family Communications Plan. Detail how your family members will contact one another in case of an emergency, how you will get back together, and how to move forward.
Call ARS®/Rescue Rooter® today for help with any of your winter plumbing or HVAC to-dos! 1-800-277-9400.