- Plumbing Repair
- Plumbing Installation
- Drain Services and Repair
- Plumbing Preventive Maintenance
- Sewer and Water Line Repair
Garbage Disposal Repair
Garbage disposals are the unsung heroes of many kitchens. As diligent as you may be in preventing large pieces of food from going down the drain, there will always be a certain amount that slips through and gets caught in the pipes. Your garbage disposal is there to shred food waste into pieces small enough to pass through the plumbing easily. You might not know how much you rely on it—until it breaks down.
Don’t adjust your routine around a broken garbage disposal
Your garbage disposal is meant to make your life a little easier, so do yourself a favor and develop a few good habits when you’re using the disposal. Treating it with respect will ensure it stays in working condition for as long as possible, and you won’t have to deal with a broken or ineffective garbage disposal very often. Here are a few things to remember:
- Use cold water when you grind food. Hot water can melt fats that will end up clogging your pipes once they cool.
- Don’t overfill your garbage disposal.
- Always run water before and after using the disposal.
- Don’t put bleach, drain cleaners, or other chemicals down the unit.
- Don’t try to grind bones, coffee grounds, or overly fibrous materials (like corn husks). Also avoid disposing of things made of glass, metal, or rubber.
- Never use your hand to pull material out. Use tongs or pliers instead.
If your garbage disposal is in need of repairs, look no further than your local ARS/Rescue Rooter. Call us at 866-399-2885 and our expert plumbers will have your routine back to normal in no time.